The month of Pride is upon us! Individuals from all over the business world have reflected on how they can help those in the LGBTQIA+ community to feel more supported in their workplaces. So, if you haven’t done so, now is the time to reflect.

Whilst Pride Month is an amazing time of representation for those who feel unheard, it’s important to start and keep up the momentum of LGBTQIA+ support in all businesses, all the time. Using our HR knowledge, we’ll walk you through the process.

First, let’s start on allyship.

What is an ally/allyship?

You’ve likely heard the term ally before but may not have understood its meaning; an ally refers to someone who actively supports and pushes for rights for a marginalised group, such as those who identify in the LGBTQIA+ group.

Those a part of the LGBTQIA+ have continuously suffered in their general and working lives with discrimination, homophobia and micro-aggressions. (As well as major). Pride is the time to start to take a stand against this fact. We’ll walk you through the steps you should take to properly support the community, and what you can do as an ally to make those in your company feel safe and supported.

How to bring LGBTQIA+ allyship to your workplace:

Educate yourself and others

Now is the time to learn more about the LGBTQIA+ community, and not just sit back. You may not know the meaning of Pride and its importance in history, so expand that knowledge.

Pride originated in June of 1970, following the first anniversary of the Stonewall Riots.  It turned a riot into an act of celebration and pride for those in the LGBTQIA+ group, who at the time were marginalisation to the highest degree. Understanding this and taking the time to learn more about the community shows your honest support efforts and respect.

Create an open, caring space

Leading on from this, those within the community should feel accepted and normalised in their workplaces, and not made to feel uncomfortable or discriminated. Identify any problem areas in your company through employee surveys. You should offer anonymous options as well. This extends to those who may not be out or fully comfortable in discussing their sexuality or identity in their workplace, but would still like to voice their opinion.

According to Deloitte’s report on inclusion at work, 45% of those who identify as being in the LGBTQIA+ group are out to the majority of their colleagues, which leaves 55% who either don’t discuss or limit their discussions of being out to others. So, make sure you’re listening to them as well.

Be inclusive

We’ve spoken about the importance and meaning of inclusivity previously, with one of our own quotes being:

Inclusivity is described as the culture of having every person be heard. And made to feel comfortable and valued as a human being. Having equal opportunities for people of every kind is key to being inclusive for businesses.

And we stand by this. Show your LGBTQIA+ employees you hear them loud and clear in any issues they may be having in regards to their identity. By being inclusive and proactive in your efforts to support those in your company, you’re deterring away from the negativity that is experienced by those in the LGBTQIA+ group and adding to a brighter future.

Celebrate LGBTQIA+ Pride

Get that flag flying!

Organise to go to a Pride event with your whole team, decorate your office with LGBTQIA+ flags, put together a discussion group on Pride month… the list goes on.

This is a time of celebration for those in the community, so make sure you’re participating in that. By doing this, you’re helping to normalise those in the group and make them feel free to be themselves.

To conclude, you must show your LGBTQIA+ employees you’re there for them, and on their side. The little things make a difference to people, so take the right steps and continue onwards. Don’t just stop at Pride.

82% of LGBTQIA+ employees believe that allyship helps them be out at work, so add your own employees to that positive figure, by being an ally.

And don’t forget:

Equality means more than passing laws. The struggle is really won in the hearts and minds of the community, where it really counts. – Barbara Gittings

333 are here to help:

For help on all subjects of inclusivity, LGBTQIA+ support and any other HR Support, please feel free to get in touch. Call 0333 050 3330, use our contact page or email us at lisa@triplethreesolutions.co.uk.