Under new government plans, up to 1.9 million working families in the UK will benefit from help with childcare. This should help more of the nation’s worker feel the benefits of their labour, as research shows that the cost of childcare has increased by as much as 30 per cent since 2010.

The average cost of 25 hours of childcare for a child under the age of two is £109.89 according to statistics published by the BBC.

So what does this mean for the UK’s employers and employees? Here are some of the key facts:

How much?

Parents will be able to gain access to subsidised childcare worth up to £2000 under the new scheme.

Who is eligible?

Working parents of children under the age of 12 will be eligible to join the scheme. This includes self employed parents. Those working part-time and earning more than £50 a week, as well as parents on maternity, paternity and adoption leave will all qualify. This scheme is aimed at households with two working parents.

How does it work?

Participants sign up to the program using an online account. Parents will pay 80 per cent of the cost of the childcare – up to a total of £10,000 per child – to a registered childcare provider. The other 20 per cent of the childcare costs will be free from tax. If you have an annual childcare bill of £10,000, you would qualify for £2,000 support.

How is it different to childcare vouchers?

This is a very similar offer to the previous childcare voucher scheme; however it will allow twice as many people to become eligible for the support. The childcare voucher scheme required businesses to sign up and only around 5 per cent of UK employers did.

So will the new scheme see an influx of working mums heading into the workplace? Or does the scheme not stretch far enough when compared with the Scandinavian workplace model of flexible working and low childcare costs?

Talk to Triple Three about your thoughts and concerns.